Monday, December 5, 2011

First base

Our Captain greeted one of the officers who came to pick us up.  I think the person was ranked a Major.
The next afternoon our party checked out of the hotel and departed on a relatively short evening voyage to our first work site.  Since it was very late at night when we arrived, we were picked up by our host and rode to the billeting office where we were fortunate enough to be assigned a single tent for our entire party.  Living in a tent, especially with other people was something that I have never done before.  Since the tent and the beds were heavily used by transients like us, the mattresses were worn and there were holes in the tent floor such that dirt was visible.  Later on, I discovered that there were at least 2 large rats running around in the various folds of the tent.

In any case, it was late and I didn't have time to explore the surroundings as our party was to be split and I was to travel with 2 others early next morning.  The night passed uneventfully and I made use of a sleeping bag the first time in my adult life since I did not want to come in direct contact with the issued linens.

No comments: